2010年12月1日 星期三

"Krondor the Betrayal" by Raymond E. Feist


I just started this one, so keep in mind that I'm only three chapters in.

I'm surprised at how much I like this book. The day before yesterday, I finished off David and Leah Eddings's "The Redemption of Althalus," and that book had me wondering if there were any good fantasy writers left out there.

Which is not to say that Feist is the next Tolkein, or that Krondor the Betrayal is a work of art. It's a solidly written book, staying securely within the confines of the genre. It reads like a role-playing game, which makes sense because Feist got his start writing scenarios for a certain RPG.

As a fair representation of the fantasy genre, I'd give the book 8 stars out of 10. It's not a work of genius, it's of course not Lord of the Rings, but I have to admire Feist's ability to map out plot elements and remain consistent from chapter to chapter. It helps that he has the preconceived "Midkemia" universe to draw from, but then again the story is surprisingly complex and the characters are convincing.

As just a book - and not just as a representation of the fantasy genre - I'd have to give it 5 stars out of 10. I am, after all, not a frequent reader of fantasy novels.

3 則留言:

  1. 很可惜,這個部落格全是英文,除非你介紹的是我熟悉的書籍,否則要我針對內容做回應,那可能要等100年以後了(意思就是"不可能"啦)
    沒關係!我就從我最近看的書,挑選一些我覺得值得思考或有趣的想法.換句話說,就是你寫你的,我寫我的,這裡頭唯一不公平的地方,就是你看得懂我寫的(中文),而我看不懂你寫的(英文),不知道是你吃虧還是我吃虧?
    老實說,我還真搞不懂為什麼你會想要寫那麼多部落格,這真是一件吃力不討好的事(即便它們多有趣),不是嗎?M.L.S.

    回覆刪除
  2. I don't know if these book are in Chinese anyway! Why write - in Chinese - about books that are probably NOT in Chinese?

    Why write so many 部落格? I enjoy writing!

    回覆刪除