2022年8月31日 星期三

"Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson (1992)


"As Hiro and Vitaly approach the vast freeway overpass where tonight's concert is to take place, the solid ferrous quality of the Vanagon attracts MagnaPoons like a Twinkie draws cockroaches.  If they knew that Vitaly Chernobyl himself was in the van, they'd go crazy, they'd steal the van's engine.  But right now, they'll poon anything that might be headed toward the concert."

Neal Stephenson's Seveneves was also reviewed here recently.  A brief bio of the author can be found in that review.  I'm still not a huge fan of Neal Stephenson, but parts of Snow Crash, like parts of Seveneves, are impressive works of imagination.

Snow Crash came along much earlier in Stephenson's career, and I think it reveals the influence William Gibson had over him.  Hiro Protagonist (get it?  get it?) is a hacker and pizza delivery driver working for the mafia, and in the course of a failed delivery he joins forces with Y.T. a teenage "Kourier" skating her way through the dangerous streets of a postapocalyptic Los Angeles.

But why, you ask, do they join forces?  That's a long story, but by way of explanation Hiro crosses paths with a virus called "Snow Crash" which causes computers to crash, brains to implode and new religions to form.  It all goes back to ancient Sumer, you see, and the god Enki...

I could elaborate, but that would take a while and at this point you're either interested or not.  Given Neal Stephenson's reputation, I wouldn't call this book "hard sci-fi" exactly.  It does go into a lot of religious history, and there's some programming lingo, but it's not so much difficult as long-winded.

I did like it though.  I didn't love it, but it definitely wasn't bad.  The idea of a back door into the human psyche is an interesting idea, and the author did a good job of setting up the concept.  Snow Crash is also more cohesive than the later Seveneves, even if it could've been a lot shorter.  I'll take a sword-weilding Afro samurai assaulting an aircraft carrier with a gatling gun over a laborious and implausible tale of human evolution any day of the week.

I'm probably done with Neal Stephenson after this book.  I complained online about Seveneves and was encouraged to go back and read Snow Crash, a book that many people said was better.  I agree that it was better, but I also think that I now know enough about Neal Stephenson's fiction to know that it isn't my cup of tea.

Related Entries:

沒有留言:

張貼留言