2022年9月30日 星期五

Thoughts on Marvel's She-Hulk: Attorney at Law


"Utter shit!"  

"This show is terrible!"  

"Marvel is going downhill!"  

Etc., etc., etc.

Is that what I'm expected to say?

The thing is, I kind of like She-Hulk: Attorney at Law.  I watched episode 7 last night and while yes, this show has problems, it's not that bad.

I have to be real here and say I haven't seen all of the Marvel shows.  I watched the Netflix series up to The Defenders.  I watched bits of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  I tried and failed with Agent Carter and The Inhumans.  I didn't bother with Runaways, Cloak and Dagger and Helstrom.  I probably won't bother with Adventure Into Fear either.

As far as the Marvel Studios shows go, I enjoyed Wandavision the most.  I thought the ending of that show was weak, but it was a good setup for Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness, which should have, in my opinion, featured Scarlet Witch instead of Doctor Strange.

I couldn't get into The Falcon and the Winter Soldier and Moon Knight.  I still think Loki is terrible.  Hawkeye bored me, and I've only seen parts of What If...?  I might see Ms. Marvel, but then again I might not.  I loved the comic book series, and I'm worried the show will ruin my memories of the comic.

And She-Hulk?  I grew up reading those comics, but I haven't read any of them since I was little.  I was fascinated by the Hulk, and those She-Hulk comics were often a nice sidestep into other aspects of an evolving process of hulkification.

(Whatever that means.)


But yeah, I kind of like She-Hulk.  It's very dumb, but for all its dumbness it's entertaining.  Tatiana Maslany is a great actress, and despite plot holes and other problems with the writing she remains convincing as both Jennifer Walters and She-Hulk.  Is the CGI in the show awesome?  NOPE, but I will say that the CGI in episode 7 looks better, and that moment where Jennifer is at Blonsky's retreat struggling with the dichotomy between Jen and She-Hulk really sold the character for me.

No, I don't know why she didn't just turn into She-Hulk, jump a few miles away and get better cellphone service, and no, I don't know why her car getting smashed was such a monumental problem, but that moment in the group made the show very relatable, and it's a better moment than the best moments in many other Marvel shows.

Which is not to say that the pacing in this show isn't an issue.  Whoever's writing the scripts seems to be in a godawful rush to get to each episode's conclusion, almost as if they either didn't know how to reach that conclusion or they didn't want to be writing the script in the first place.  The actors involved are game enough, and the rom-com vibe could have worked, but this show really needs to slow down.  That big, season-ending conclusion needs to be earned.

I just hope they tap the brakes for the last two episodes.  No need to have some world-ending villain appear out of nowhere.  She-Hulk's struggle can remain a personal one, and bringing in some ridiculous bad guy so close to the end of the series will probably do more harm than good.

For what it's worth I'd like to see more of She-Hulk in a feature film.  With better CGI Tatiana Maslany can easily carry the role, and this is one instance where a character's diversity really will make a cinematic universe both more inclusive and more interesting.


Related Entries:


Fun Fact 1: They wanted to include She-Hulk in The Death of the Incredible Hulk TV movie, way back in 1990.

Fun Fact 2: Later still New World Pictures planned on making a She-Hulk movie, with Brigitte Nielsen as Jennifer Walters/She-Hulk.  There are photos here.

Sad Reflection: And what about Marvel's other (more) interesting female superheroine?  What about Spider-Woman?  You'd think Sony would make a Spider-Woman film a priority, but no, no plans for Jessica Drew as yet.  Maybe they're doing us a favor?

Update: After writing this I watched the first episode of Ms. Marvel and the first three episodes of the Netflix Punisher series.  Ms. Marvel lost me at the end of the first episode, while that extended torture/interrogation scene in Punisher just started to seem ridiculous.  I'll definitely watch the remaining two episodes of She-Hulk, but I'm not sure about Ms. Marvel and Punisher.

沒有留言:

張貼留言