2023年2月6日 星期一

"Undiscovered Country" Volumes 1-3 by Scott Snyder, Giuseppe Camuncoli and Others (2020-2022)


I'm not that familiar with Scott Snyder.  I think I read some Superman comics he wrote, a series spotlighting different times in Superman's life?  Something like that.  I didn't finish the series.

I'm also unfamiliar with the artist on Undiscovered Country.  This fact isn't that unusual though.  I'm unfamiliar with many artists working today.

The story?  It's somewhat difficult to encapsulate, but long story short it's the future, America has gone "off grid," and several representatives from what's left of the rest of the world venture into the mysterious blank spot on the map that used to be the United States.

Thereafter these representatives are tasked with "walking the spiral," i.e. passing through all 13 of the former America's sovereign states.  Each of the 13 zones they pass through represents a failed attempt at utopia, the first being a Libertarian, Mad Max-style place where anything goes, the second being a Matrix-type world where the distinction between human and machine is less significant, and the third being a kind of amplified Hollywood, where dreamers engage in unfettered acts of creation.

Eh, it's OK.  All in all it reminded me of One Piece, though One Piece is of course more whimsical.  Undiscovered Country isn't quite boring, but it does seem very derivative at times.  This type of "future assessment of a postapocalyptic America" has been done to death in comics, Watchmen, The One and Give Me Liberty providing but a few examples.  And besides that, something like One Piece is just more fun.  Repetitive, yes, but more fun.

I probably won't be continuing with this series.  As it is I've read through 18 chapters of it, and I can't see future installments improving much upon what's already been published.


Related Entries:

沒有留言:

張貼留言