2024年3月19日 星期二

"The Jealousy Man" by Jo Nesbo (2021)


I recently reviewed Jo Nesbo's The Snowman.  That review can be found here.

The Jealousy Man is a collection of the author's short stories.  One of these stories, the last one, is excellent, while the other 11 range from implausible to pretty good.

The story for which this anthology is named felt a bit uneven to me.  On the one hand I enjoyed its Greek tragedy aspect, but the way in which the narrator gets the perpetrator to confess seemed very contrived to me.

Another, very long story/novella which takes up nearly half this collection's length was so depressing I had to put it down and rest for long periods.  It was clearly written in the midst of COVID, and it explores a kind of standing argument between a lawyer and a rich friend accustomed to exploiting his position.

The story which begins the book is good, if a little predictable.  A woman meets a handsome stranger on a plane and fate intervenes.

The last story in this collection was by far my favorite.  This story, set in a future ruled by corporations that employ assassins against one another with near-impunity, reminded me of the manga Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and if that reference goes over your head this story probably isn't for you.  Let's just say it gets weird and I like "weird" a lot.

The other stories?  Honestly I can't remember them that well, so I won't discuss them here.  I think that overall this collection is worth seeking out, though I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as The Snowman.  I'm guessing that the author was attempting to stretch out from the crime fiction genre with some of these stories, but I'm thinking that his more genre-specific books are, on average, better.

Related Entries:

沒有留言:

張貼留言