2023年3月3日 星期五

Upcoming Superhero Movies in the Order I Want to See Them 4


The ones I look forward to the most are at the top.  The ones I look forward to least are at the bottom.  Some of the dates I found for some of these movies are less than solid.  As always, Sony's release dates and future plans are to be treated with extreme skepticism.

Fantastic Four (2025)

This movie doesn't start shooting until next year, and at the time of writing all that we know is that Matt Shakman, who directed WandaVision, is in talks to helm Fantastic Four.  No cast announcements have been made.

Those of us who grew up reading comics are, I imagine, all equally anxious to see how Marvel Studios incorporates their "first family" into the larger MCU.  We've already seen an alternate version of Reed Richards in Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness, but Fantastic Four is where we see the "real" version of this character alongside his famous teammates.

Now that Marvel has exhausted the original Avengers lineup (with the possible exclusion of the Hulk), the success of Fantastic Four will be critical for the studio.  As a longtime fan of the Fantastic Four I hope they pull it off.  There are a lot of great stories there.

The Flash (2023)

All I can say is FINALLY.  This summer I'll FINALLY be able to see The Flash in a movie theater, and what's more he'll be appearing alongside an alternate universe version of himself, Michael Keaton's Batman, Ben Affleck's Batman. Michael Shannon's Zod and an alternate universe version of Supergirl.

Does the inclusion of Ezra Miller bother me?  Yes, but I'm willing to overlook their shenanigans for the sake of finally getting a Flash movie.  Besides that, they're a good actor, and I have faith that they can deliver a good performance in this movie.  On top of that we get Andy Muschietti, whose last movie was It chapters one and two.

The Flash has been my favorite comic book character since I was little.  As a kid I spent many happy afternoons lost in Cary Bates' and Carmine Infantino's run (heh heh) on the character.  I'm not that big a fan of recent Flash comics, but yeah, a Flash movie -- FINALLY.

Avengers: Secret Wars (2026)

If you haven't read it, Jonathan Hickman's reboot of the original comic series is good.  I wouldn't say that it's perfect, but it's ambitious in the way that all multiverse-spanning comic book events should be.  If you've read Hickman's reboot you'll know that the Fantastic Four tie in very closely with this saga, and I imagine that this will be more a sequel to Fantastic Four than another Avengers movie.

Of all the movies discussed here this is the furthest out.  Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania has been receiving mixed reviews, and the lukewarm response to that movie may force Marvel to rethink its plans with regard to both this movie and Avengers: Kang Dynasty.

Swamp Thing (no release date yet)

I loved Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing.  From what James Gunn has said this will be more of a straight-ahead horror movie, but that doesn't mean that they can't transition into Moore-style weirdness later on.

Nothing is known about this movie except the title and that James Mangold might direct it.  

It'd be fun if it referenced the 1982 original in some way.  In case you're wondering yes, Adrienne Barbeau is still around.

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow (no release date yet)

As with Swamp Thing, nothing is known about this movie apart from the title, but I'd be happy to see another take on Supergirl.  Whether this is the same Supergirl we'll see in The Flash this summer remains to be seen.

Avengers: The Kang Dynasty (2025)

Kang was far and away the best thing about Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania.  Jonathan Majors has enough presence to pull off the role, and Kang definitely poses enough of a threat to bring Earth's mightiest heroes into play.  Destin Daniel Cretton, who directed Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, has already signed on as director.

Deadpool 3 (2024)

Deadpool and Wolverine should be fun.  The question mark is what parts of the MCU this movie will be allowed to play with, and whether or not this movie represents an effort to integrate Deadpool into the MCU.  Shawn Levy, who already directed Reynolds in Free Guy and The Adam Project will head up this one, with the same writers returning.  Filming should start in a couple months.

Superman: Legacy (2025)

It's high time for another Superman movie.  Both the character and the actor playing him have been jerked around a lot by the studio, but hopefully all of that's in the past.  I was a bit sad to see Henry Cavill leave, even if I get why they want to wipe the slate clean and start again.  According to James Gunn this film will be closer in tone to All Star Superman, a comic I enjoyed a great deal.


Spider-Man: Across the Spider-verse (2023)

I loved Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse.  It was by far my favorite comic book movie of that year, and the sequel promises more of the same.  Check out the character/cast list on Wikipedia.  They pretty much threw everything and everyone they could into this movie.

Blade (2024)

The director, Bassam Tariq, has only directed one feature film, this being 2020's Mogul Mowgli.  That movie was well received by critics, and while I haven't seen it the reviews point toward someone who understands the nuances of character.

Two-time Academy Award winner Mahershala Ali will star as Blade, and filming should begin next month.  I'm a big fan of the character, and seeing how they incorporate him into the MCU should be interesting.

Anyone else up for a Wesley Snipes cameo?  I sure am.  The only thing better than that would be a peek at a new Ghost Rider.

Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-verse (2024)

It's too early to get that excited about this one, but I'm fairly certain it will be good.  It was filmed simultaneously with Across the Spider-verse.

Blue Beetle (2023)

I was never that interested in the character.  I'm also not familiar with the Jaime Reyes version, which comes after Ted Kord, the character I grew up with.  Originally the character was "Charlton Comics' Batman," and he served as the inspiration for Night Owl in Alan Moore's Watchmen.

The Authority (no release date yet)

I'm not that familiar with this super team.  I've read a couple issues of Stormwatch, and I read the Authority/Planetary crossover in the back of The Planetary Omnibus.  The series caused quite a bit of controversy at DC comics, some of it resulting in having the artwork redrawn.

But I often enjoy controversy.  If they aim for a more "mature" audience it could be good.  Then again, one wonders if "more controversial" might invite unfavorable comparisons to The Boys.

Madame Web (2024)

Dakota Johnson stars as a comic book character I'm completely unfamiliar with.  I doubt Sony's version will have much to do with the comic book character, but Madame Web might be weird enough to be interesting.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023)

Will I go see this in the theater this summer?  I guess it depends on where I am and what I'm doing.  I didn't enjoy the first two all that much, and I have no reason to believe the third movie will be qualitatively different.

I'd like to see Adam Warlock in live action however.  I've read and liked some of Jim Starlin's work on the character in the 70s.

Captain America: New World Order (2024)

More of Falcon and the Winter Soldier?  I didn't like the show.  I'm also not sure how I feel about Harrison Ford playing General Ross (R.I.P. William Hurt).  This said, I would like to see Tim Blake Nelson as The Leader.


Joker: Folie a Deux (2024)

Part of me really wishes they weren't making a sequel.  It feels like a Matrix situation, wherein they're never going to top the first one.  I like the idea of Lady Gaga as Harley Quinn, but the fact that this will be a musical is... perplexing.

The Brave and the Bold (no release date yet)

Supposedly this will be a "less grimdark" version of Batman, with the Bat Family taking center stage.  And while DC/Warner Bros. has already stated that there won't be four Batmans, I think even fewer Batmans would be better.  I get why they keep falling back on the character (money!), but really, the market for Batman is oversaturated now.

The Marvels (2023)

A sequel to the worst film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  I tried watching the Ms. Marvel series too.  Just couldn't get into it.

Thunderbolts (2024)

Marvel's Suicide Squad?  To me this movie feels like a wasted opportunity.  There are SO many more interesting lineups to choose from, and instead they chose Bucky, Ghost, U.S. Agent, Julia Louise-Dreyfus' character from Wakanda Forever and everyone who wasn't Black Widow from Black Widow.

Come on, Marvel.  You had a lot to work with here.  Every character from Iron Monger to M.O.D.O.K. was fair game.  Hell, you could've even "borrowed" Venom from Sony.  All I can say is the script better be good.

The Batman: Part II (2025)

Grimdarkness.  So much grimdarkness.  I realize this is an unpopular opinion, but I found The Batman very boring.  Given the Arkham games this version of Batman definitely has an audience, but I found him dull and depressing.

Shazam! Fury of the Gods (2023)

As much as I loved Captain Marvel (Shazam) when I was little, the first movie didn't do much for me.  It wasn't bad, really, just... unimpressive.  Quick!  Who was the villain in Shazam!?  What was his name?  Why was he evil?

I might go see this in the theater, I might not.  I had an interesting talk with my wife after we both saw the preview.  "Isn't he supposed to be wish fulfillment?" she asked, "And if so, why does he look so old?"

Kraven the Hunter (2023)

Betcha didn't know this is coming out next year.  Aaron Taylor-Johnson, who's played both "Dave" in the Kick-Ass movies and Quicksilver in the MCU, is set to star as Kraven.  The director, J.C. Chandor's last movie was Triple Frontier, an entertaining movie starring Ben Affleck, Oscar Isaac and others.  We'll see....

El Muerto (2024)

Who the hell is El Muerto?  And Why the hell is El Muerto?  In answer to the first question he's a wrestler with superhuman strength and a Spider-Man villain; in answer to the second I don't know.  Apparently someone at Sony liked Bad Bunny's performance in Bullet Train and crafted this movie around him.

Who knows?  It could be good.  If you're interested in the character's backstory click here.

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (2023)

I wasn't a fan of the first one.  It was talky, it was overlong, and the storyline was just short of coherent.  The second one?  I doubt I'll bother to see it in the theater.

Related Entries:

沒有留言:

張貼留言