2011年10月17日 星期一

"Revolutionary Road" by Richard Yates


"Revolutionary Road" was first published in 1961.  It was later adapted into a movie starring the attractive couple from the movie Titanic.  I haven't seen the movie, but judging by the promotional materials, I doubt it has much to do with the book.

This one reminded me a lot of Don Delilo's "White Noise."  Both books describe a kind of spiritual crisis in American culture, though Delilo's book is a lot more abstract.  I liked Yates' book more than Delilo's.  After a few chapters I found "White Noise" tiresome.

The story outlines the marital difficulties between Frank and Alice Wheeler, a couple living in Connecticut with their children.  Frank is a fast-talking drone in an office machine company, and Alice is his emotionally distant wife.  Their marriage is headed for trouble from the word "go," and things never really get better from there.

This book is depressing, but it's a great read.  I finished it in a couple days, and I only wish it had been longer.  The characters feel very real, and there are some great moments in this book.  I highly recommend it.

沒有留言:

張貼留言