2011年7月31日 星期日

"The Book of Frank Herbert" by Frank Herbert


This is a collection of stories that were published from the 1950s to 1970 or so.

This book is less than 200 pages, and contains 10 stories, so any summary of these stories is going to be nearly as long as the stories themselves. Suffice to say, some of these stories are good, and a couple of them are preposterous. The story "Operation Syndrome" is the best in this collection, even if it betrays a faith in psychoanalysis that might be hard for 21st century readers to relate to.

The story "Looking for Something," while not that great, is the first science fiction story Herbert ever saw published, waaaaaay back in 1952!

And with this said, Dear Reader, I'll close the book on Frank Herbert for the near future. I've now read all the Dune novels... and six books besides. Perhaps one day I'll get around to the remainder of Frank Herbert's bibliography, but for now I think I'll take a long and well-deserved rest from Frank Herbert.

He is one of the greats, and I encourage you to read him if you haven't.

沒有留言:

張貼留言