2023年8月6日 星期日

"House of X / Powers of X" by Jonathan Hickman and Others (2019)


 Anyone else find Hickman's Secret Wars disappointing?  It started out as this enormous, ambitious thing and then just kind of ended.  I began that comic book series expecting a conclusion that would shake the Marvel Comics universe(s) to its very core, but what I got -- or seemed to get -- was an ending less than spectacular.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Hickman's run on New Avengers up to that potentially reality-altering comic book crossover event.  Those New Avengers comics exceeded my expectations on every level, and perhaps that was part of the problem, in that they set me up for disappointment later on.  The author, it would seem, had no way of topping or completing what he'd done on New Avengers, and what we were left with in Secret Wars was a half-concluded conclusion, a less-than-epic final chapter to a bloated run of excellent, good and mediocre comics that we all felt coerced into reading.

But perhaps I'm projecting here.  I don't, after all, know what YOU felt about Secret Wars.  Maybe you loved it the way I loved New Avengers.  Maybe you consider it a masterpiece.

If so, I can only hope that you'll forgive me for saying that Hickman's House of X and Powers of X are head and shoulders above Secret Wars, and that they are works of such shattering scope and consistency that I doubt they'll be eclipsed by any other comic book series for many, many years to come.  They represent not only the summation of what Hickman's done in previous comics, but also the summation of the X-men's collective comic book history, right back to X-men #1 in 1963.

The premise?  It's somewhat hard to encapsulate, but let's say it involves a combination of reincarnation and precognition, with the X-men beginning anew on the sentient island Krakoa.  It's a story spanning millennia, and it involves a number of X-men friends and foes coming together as a way of ensuring mutantkind's continued existence.  And did I mention that Nimrod is one of the featured characters?  I always loved Nimrod.

Hats off to everyone involved in the creation of this series.  I'll probably read it again at some point.  It's mind-bending in the best sense of the term.

Related Entries:

沒有留言:

張貼留言