2024年3月19日 星期二

Some Other Movies From 2024

I'll be adding to this as the year progresses.


1. Argylle

Just awful.  One of the worst movies I've seen in a long, long time and that's saying a lot.  The thing that really killed me, aside from the sappy dialogue exchanged between Bryce Dallas Howard and Sam Rockwell, is that scene where she skates over oil while fighting off bad guys.  I can only hope director Matthew Vaughn makes better choices in the future.


2. Dune: Part Two

Definitely better than the first one, but three hours without an intermission is asking a lot.  I liked that they showed more of the tech in this film, and also that we saw more of the other planets.  The bit on Geidi Prime was, for me, the best part of the movie.

I'd watch Dune Messiah, but if it's even longer than Dune: Part Two I might pass on seeing it in the theater.


3. Damsel

She's a princess but she's tough!  It's kinda Disney until they throw her to her death, and after that you wonder what kind of exercise regimen she was pursuing in her princess castle up to that point.  I'm guessing that EVERY day was arm day.

If you happen to be a fourteen year old girl you'll be all over this one.  If not you'll be wondering why you bothered.


4. Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

To quote Taylor Swift: "Haters gonna hate."  Likewise, monsters gonna STOMP.

I like movies about big, stompy monsters.  Correction: I really, really like movies about big, stompy monsters.  What's that, you say?  Rome is in danger?  Hong Kong is about to be destroyed for the thousandth time?  The people of Los Angeles are fleeing?  There's panic in the streets in New York?  Tokyo come in, Tokyo?  Tokyo?  Whatever it is, sign me up, I'm ready.

My favorite parts of this movie were the blogger's pseudo-explanations and the idea that a team of people, somewhere, possibly working for a national government, decided to make a giant robotic arm for the gigantic ape.  I never, in other words, expected any of it to make sense.  I was there for the stomping.


5. Kung Fu Panda 4

By-the-numbers sequel to the lucrative franchise.  I laughed twice, and the remainder of the movie was forgettable fun.  I've got to say, Jack Black kills it singing that Britney Spears cover.  No idea whether or not autotune was involved, but it sounded authentic to me.

Related Entries:

沒有留言:

張貼留言