2018年2月21日 星期三

Two Books I Read During Winter Break

I don't think either of these books deserve their own, individual posts.  One because it's so short, and the other because it's so insubstantial.

(I'll let you guess which is which)



1. The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

Is this book really that deep?  Or is it just deliberately obscure?  Your guess is as good as mine - although I did enjoy The Prophet.  

I read it during one of the more difficult moments in my life, and parts of it did help me through that particular crisis.  But again, I have a nagging doubt that the author wasn't so much spreading wisdom as reveling in obscurity.  Want to sound wise?  Confounding categories and avoiding definitions will get you there every time.



2. Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

Come on Neil, isn't this a bit easy and/or lazy?  I get that you added some of your own "touches" to these stories of gods and monsters, but this is Young Adult fare at best, and involved VERY little effort on your part.  

I'll agree that these stories are entertaining, but they were entertaining before you offered your own spin on them, and they'll be entertaining long after your version is forgotten.  And besides all that, those looking for a clearer understanding of Norse mythology would do better to seek out any number of more academic treatments.

Related Entries:

Snail People, Rotting Robo-Sharks, and a Whole Lotta Penises
"Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace (1996)
"Home Below Hell's Canyon" by Grace Jordan (1954)
"House of Suns" by Alastair Reynolds (2008)

沒有留言:

張貼留言