2013年12月28日 星期六

"Quest" by Dorothy Oxley (1990)


I don't know where the hell my mom found this book, but it was among the three books she sent me for Christmas.  I've never heard of Dorothy Oxley, I've never heard of Lion Publishing, and all of the other books advertised in the back of this book are unknown to me.

"Quest" is book that reminded me very much of Marion Zimmer Bradley's "Sword of Aldones," though it is better written.  On a distant planet resembling medieval Europe, a crippled boy tags along on a quest for a starship.  They must fight an evil army of psychics at every turn, but by the end... well, you can guess how it ends.

It's a readable book, but nothing special.  The author attempts to work a lot of Christian imagery into the story, though the quest at the center of this story lacks the kind of theological or philosophical depth that a more thoughtful writer might have brought to the material.

"Quest" is a forgettable work of fantasy.  It's not bad, but not worth seeking out.

沒有留言:

張貼留言