2016年5月4日 星期三

Comic Book Interlude 5

I figured it's time for another round of comic books.  I started reading about how bad Marvel's "Ultimatum" series was, and that led to me to some other comics.  Those comics led me to still other comics, and, well, you know how it goes.

What follows is the first half (or maybe the first third - who knows how many comics I'll be reading?) of the comics I found.  The other half will be presented as Comic Book Interlude 6. 


Black Magick 1-3 (2015)

I realize that I'm not the intended audience for this comic, but it really rubbed me the wrong way.  A witch/policewoman battles supernatural foes.  The art is good, but the dialogue and plot are little more than a series of movie cliches. 


Bloodshot: Reborn 1-3 (2015)

Also tedious, but better than Black Magick.  Valiant's pseudo-Japanese assassin copes with his past after his "nanites" have been removed.  The art is great, but the story is forgettable.  It might get better after a few more issues.


Justice League 46-49 (2016) 

Part of the Darkseid War series.  I'd have to go back to earlier issues to make any sense of it.  Something about the Anti-Monitor and the Injustice Society, then Superwoman somehow gives birth in the middle of a battlefield without taking off her pants.  Mostly a lot of punching and things exploding.


The Mighty Thor 1-6 (2016)

Jane Foster takes over as Thor.  A lot of comic fans were up in arms over this one, but the idea of a woman Thor doesn't bother me.  My only problem with it is that she's just not an interesting character.  Even worse, most of the 6th issue features a story involving the "classic" Thor, and one gets the feeling that Jane Foster will be discarded as soon as it becomes convenient to do so.


Monstress 1-2 (2015)

This comic is FAR better than any other mentioned in this entry.  Humans struggle with magical beings called "arcanics."  The author is American, and the artist is Japanese.  Right now I'd say it's violent and pretty good, but given a few more issues it might be violent and pretty great.


Ms. Marvel 1-19 (2014-2015) 

I was surprised by how much I liked it.  Kamala Khan, the newest Ms. Marvel, gets her powers from the Terrigen Mists.  You might think that having a 16 year old, Pakistani-American girl as Ms. Marvel represents the worst kind of political correctness, but she's an engaging character and this comic is often very funny. 


Negative Space 1-4 (2016)

Hadn't heard of this one until recently.  An evil corporation is harvesting people's emotions, and a suicidal loner uncovers a conspiracy.  The first issue is good, but the last three are just mindless violence.

沒有留言:

張貼留言