2016年5月11日 星期三

Comic Book Interlude 6

More comics read recently.


Crossed 

That cover pretty much says it all, doesn't it?  I've been a fan of Garth Ennis for a while, and this series takes it to a whole other level.  I haven't yet read all of the issues and spinoffs in my collection, but what I've read so far is good.  Bring a strong stomach!


Saga 1-36 (2015-2016)

An excellent comic book, driven by a compelling story and crisp artwork.  Oh, and it's also full of sex and violence.  I read part of this series a couple years ago, but didn't sit down and read the whole thing until recently.


Secret Wars 1-9 (2015-2016)

Another comic I started quite a while ago.  Finally read issue #9 the other day.  It starts off GREAT, but the last few issues are little more than a series of battles, with very little dramatic impact.  I didn't read all the associated comics (who has that kind of time?), so maybe that sense of scale missing in the later issues is to be found in those.


The Sheriff of Babylon 1-6 (2016)

Noirish comic set in scenic Iraq.  Reminded me a bit of 100 Bullets.  A police officer from the USA trains Iraqis in Western law enforcement techniques.  Very good, and I look forward to reading more of this in the future.


Spider-Woman 1-10 (2015)

I've always liked Spider-Woman more than Spider-Man.  Part of the reason may well be that the inner, (pre)pubescent me still thinks she's hot.  But I also think she's a more interesting character.  The first four of these issues feature Spider-Woman in the classic (sexy) costume, and the last six feature her newer, far less sexy costume with the ridiculous sunglasses.  The writing in this comic is solid, but the art is more of a mixed bag.


Superman: American Alien 1-5 (2016)

Not so much an ongoing story as a series of stories highlighting different moments in Superman's life.  Max Landis writes them all, while a different artist illustrates each story.  Very good series so far, and I look forward to reading the last two issues.  Issue #5 is the best of the first five.


Ultimatum (Including Ultimate Power 1-9, The Ultimates 3, Ultimatum, and several other comics) (2009-2014)

In the Beginning, I loved Marvel's Ultimate Universe.  Mark Millar was able to put the characters on a good footing, the art was generally good, and some of the stories were excellent.  Unfortunately Marvel fell asleep at the wheel, and by the time Ultimatum rolled around it was hard to care about the Ultimate Universe's more "realistic" approach to its characters.  Ultimatum was the beginning of the end, and the Ultimate Universe would be abolished altogether in the above-mentioned Secret Wars limited series.

沒有留言:

張貼留言